Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?
In reply to alex2b, Mar 29, 2013

alex2b wrote:

Joe Pineapples wrote:

illdawg wrote:

John Siward wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

Been there, done that and now back to m4/3. Re prices: They are not that far out of line. Compare the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8 to the Canon 24-70L f/2.8 and 70-200L f/2.8 in terms of cost. And if you switch, build up your muscles to tote the extra weight

It's not really a fair comparison. The Panasonic lenses are equivalent to f/5.6 full frame lenses, and where I live they are similar in price to the Canon f/4 L zooms so IMO they are pretty expensive for what you get.

J.

It's a good thing that your f-stop only dsetermines DOF, not light collection. Otherwise this f/5.6 comparison would be totally wrong.

It's a bigger 'ole; it collects more light.  What more is there to understand?

Joe

This:

The amount of light projected on the m43 sensor is exactly the same as the amount of light projected on the full frame sensor, when both are using an f/2.8 lens.The Canon lens would only gather more unused light, when mounted on an m43 camera.

[snip]

Both lenses are f/2.8, so they give the same exposure, i.e. surface brightness on the sensor, yes? Same amount of light per unit area, agreed?  The "amount of light projected on the full frame sensor" = the amount of light per unit area (same for both sensors) x the area of the sensor (greater for the FF sensor). So the "amount of light projected on the full frame sensor" is greater, not the same.  Why does the lens collect more light? Because it's a bigger 'ole etc... (see above).

I've no interest in discussing holes further. If you want the long, detailed version it's here:

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/index.htm

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow