need new head recommendations

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: need new head recommendations
In reply to sooflyfisher, Mar 29, 2013

sooflyfisher wrote:

thanks for the replies so far.  I find the Manfrotto head to be decent,  the big problem with it is the quick release set up, not solid at all.  If the mounting method for the lens/camera to the head were solid, the Manfrotto head would be great.  Gonna have to look at the arca swiss options.  Lotsa research to do on this subject as I am pretty much lost! lol.

Thanks again.

Mike

That is kinda like saying "It would be a great race car if it were actually fast!" 

Seriously - the job of a ball head is to be utterly stable and being very flexible is a huge bonus to the photographer.  There are some terrific Arca-Swiss heads for reasonable money (Sunwayfoto is my favorite among brands with entry prices, Sirui is decent, too), and you have lots of flexibility for plates for your camera and lenses, not to mention L-plates which are an awesome thing when you want to go to portrait orientation.  Drop notches suck and make the tripod less stable where the L-plate keeps your camera centered atop the tripod.

This one is under $200, and I think you'll find it to be extremely capable, easy to use and far more stable than anything Manfrotto makes: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/899235-REG/Sunwayfoto_fb_36dl_FB_36_Head_With_Duo_Lever.html

(By the way, I have owned a couple of their heads, and handled almost all of them.  I go to CES every year for work and always make a point to hit the Photo pavilion.)

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow