Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
alex2b
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
Re: Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?
In reply to Joe Pineapples, Mar 29, 2013

Joe Pineapples wrote:

illdawg wrote:

John Siward wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

Been there, done that and now back to m4/3. Re prices: They are not that far out of line. Compare the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8 to the Canon 24-70L f/2.8 and 70-200L f/2.8 in terms of cost. And if you switch, build up your muscles to tote the extra weight

It's not really a fair comparison. The Panasonic lenses are equivalent to f/5.6 full frame lenses, and where I live they are similar in price to the Canon f/4 L zooms so IMO they are pretty expensive for what you get.

J.

It's a good thing that your f-stop only dsetermines DOF, not light collection. Otherwise this f/5.6 comparison would be totally wrong.

It's a bigger 'ole; it collects more light.  What more is there to understand?

Joe

This:

The amount of light projected on the m43 sensor is exactly the same as the amount of light projected on the full frame sensor, when both are using an f/2.8 lens.The Canon lens would only gather more unused light, when mounted on an m43 camera.

What does this mean? When you are using the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 on a full frame camera and I am using the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 on any m43 camera, you are right in concluding that the DOF of the Panasonic will be deeper when using the same camera settings. But it also means the m43+Panasonic is able to use the same shutter speed. So when comparing both camera, I am able to use the same shutter speed while getting a deeper DOF, which usually is great when shooting in a dark environment.

You will be able to create the same DOF by upping the ISO while still maintaing the same shutter speed, but then you would have to conveniently forget that the best full frame sensor is NOT equivalent to the best m43 sensor in signal to noise ratio.

If you would want to know more about this, you can read this article .

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,

Alex

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow