Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,702Gear list
Like?
Re: Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"
In reply to Hen3ry, Mar 29, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

I have 2 Nikon D3s bodies and D2Xs as well as my GH3.

Mine's going on location with me for two months in SE Asia in June, so we shall see how it fares under daily use and constant travelling. I suppose the only thing I can say is that I KNOW the Nikons will be very very likely to make it to the end of the trip but I don't yet know about the GH3.

What you mean is, you hope and expect the Nikons will make it, but sorry, mate, you can’t be certain. In fact, over the years, a solid part of Nikon's appeal as a "professional tool" is the widespread repair and maintenance support for it around the world.

Nikons didn’t and don't always make it -- but you could get them serviced in a lot more places than most other cameras.

Cheers, geoff

'Very very likely' does not mean 'certain'...! I wouldn't even be certain a Leica S2 would make it. No electronic or mechanical device can be relied on never to break.

That's why I am taking 3 Nikon bodies! It increases the chances of at least one of them still working all the way through.

The Nikons are tested and built pretty tough: they publish a rating for shutter actuations based, I presume, on MTBF tests.

Panasonic tout the GH3 as a pro tool but as far as I can see so far do not publish any rating for the shutter.

The ratings are no guarantee but they are at least a demonstration of intent!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow