Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 - first pics Set 1
In reply to Benoz, Mar 29, 2013

Hi Ben,

Glad to be of help!

It does look as though Pentax have managed to achieve an excellent image file with this sensor. I used to use JPGs exclusively with my Oly 4/3 cameras, as the output was always so good.  Then with Pentax I used RAW as most files needed some adjustment of some sort, whether due to WB or excess red or something ...  This MX-1 seems to hit the nail right on the head - just remains to choose between natural and bright settings, get the EV Comp & WB correct, and the result is a very natural looking image.

The attraction to me is that while its outwardly a very simple camera - missing in many ways the wealth of controls that we often see on the latest P & S cams, it still offers most of what I ever need ...  plus it has nice touches like the built-in Auto ND filter, video AF with minimal sound from the lens action, and auto rotating info readout on the screen.

There is just one user mode, which at the moment I have set for street shooting. So high contrast B & W, high speed burst continuous shooting mode, and high ISO with small aperture. That all works a treat, producing punchy perfectly focussed images. I tried it the other day mounted on a small Jobo Gorilla tripod sat on the pavement at a street café, firing the cam remotely into the crowds. In MF mode it becomes a brilliant fast street shooter - and very discrete ...;-)

The whole camera reeks of refinement and quality, but most importantly, it delivers the goods! Good value too I feel compared with the competition,  - and in my case I sold two older P&S but perfectly capable cameras, and a couple of little used lenses to finance it!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-A1 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow