Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,137Gear list
Like?
Re: Just done it myself...
In reply to illy, Mar 29, 2013

illy wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Pebbleheed wrote:

I'm still relatively new to photography. I bought a Panasonic GX1 a short while back and I'm pretty happy with it. I love the small size of it while enjoying using interchangeable lenses. However there are some points that are annoying me.

The main point with the GX1 is that lenses are expensive. I look at my friends with their Canon EOS 550D cameras as they pick up lenses for a fraction of what I pay for MFT lenses. They can in some cases get 2 or 3 lenses for just 1 of mine and to be honest I've not noticed a difference in quality that would justify the price difference.

Secondly is the depth of field. To get decent bokeh type backgrounds on my shots I have to be close up to my subjects. I have to be low down on the aperture. The DSLR cameras appear to be able to beat this in every way without having to get as close and without having to go as low on the aperture.

I enjoy taking my GX1 out with the 14mm pancake lens on to get some street shots, but when it comes to other shots such as macro or portrait I'm feeling a little let down to be honest. I'm starting to wonder if it's time to trade the GX1 in and go for a 550D in it's place?

Anyone else feel a little cheated on the MFT lens prices?

I accept that the small size we enjoy has to have let downs in other areas, but I'm trying to make up my mind to see if I can live with a little bigger a camera to get more benefits of a full DSLR.

I've gone full circle having had DSLR's before, then m4/3's and now gone FF. Obviously the main disadvantage is size/weight, so if you're happy to scale back up then it's not a problem. Personally, even though I've gone full frame I have found it cheaper. There is no denying that you get far more choice at a better price in the Canikon DSLR world and I'm not just talking lenses either. There are far more third party accessories available at much cheaper prices, from remote releases to flash triggers etc. Companies can mass produce stuff for these camera and sell them to a much bigger market.

In terms of lenses I have far more choice now and there are some very good value third party offerings. In the Canon world you don't have to buy L class lenses to get some nice stuff. In fact not all L lenses are all that, though some obviously are.

I haven't totally abandoned M4/3's and there will be things about my OMD I will miss, it doesn't matter what system you choose there will be a compromise somewhere. I don't think size is such an issue unless you go for big telephoto lenses, it's more a weight thing. I used to take my OMD in a bag so taking a DSLR in a bag is no different, its the weight that is, that's the real penalty. I'm happy to accept that compromise, you may not be.

Obviously people on this forum will have a bias towards smaller gear, thats understandable, and the older you get the more the size and weight matters. Only you can decide whats right for you but I will say it is cheaper away from m4/3's, I am most definitely finding that already. As an example I'll be paying around £400 for an UWA lens that goes wider than any m4/3's lens can. This is less than half the price I would have to pay for the 7-14mm. Taking format differences into account the quality is also very good.

Weigh up the compromises and pick what suits you best.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

traitor!

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Guilty as charged though I do still have two lenses just in case

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow