Blogger Ming Thein: GH3 a "consumer appliance"

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,581Gear list
Like?
Re: The size thing is getting old
In reply to danijel973, Mar 29, 2013

danijel973 wrote:

You are right, I do want a camera that is big enough to handle properly and that tends to be rather big by m43 standards; in fact, I usually tend to choose SLR cameras on the top of the middle range, which means something like 5d; big enough to handle properly, but without a battery grip that makes it unnecessarily heavy and bulky.

However, there's that problem of sensor size; for instance, Olympus E-5 is the same size as a 5d, but has a 4x smaller sensor. Considering the fact that not all 35mm lenses are bulky and not all 43 lenses are tiny, unless you are into long telephoto lenses the justification for going with a significantly smaller sensor is rather weak, which is why I rather reluctantly let go of the 43 format, but since I had good experiences with it I later bought an E-PL1.

And there you get that mixed bag: it is really small and practical to carry around, but it is too small and unergonomical when you actually use it.

The trick is, I don't really have any of those huge 35mm lenses; the biggest one I use is a 17-40mm f/4L wideangle, and it fits in my jacket pocket. It's all human-sized, while m43 stuff often feels hobbit-sized, if you know what I mean. So yes, I do understand why someone would want a human-sized m43 body, but then you get into my original dilemma: how is it better than a human-sized camera with a 35mm sensor?

And that is what it is or is not: to you and for your use, lenses included it probably is not what you want or need.

First of all: there is size and htere is weight. The smallest lightest FF DSLR is 60% heavier, 300 grams more. That is considerable. It is bigger than the lightest m43 compared to GH3.

GH3 is weatherproof. The lenses that make the system weatherproof are the 12-35 and 35-100. That combo, try to get somehting similar for FF. The weight difference is measured in kilo's, not grams. Still, these lenses are heavier than virtually all m43 lenses so the the combination with the GH3 (good grip) seems excellent.

Then there is video: Gh3 is better than any FF DSLR here.

For you, this may not be relevant but for others it seems the size, the weight, the lenses and the video capabilities together make for an excellent, relatively (very) small combination. is there any FF DSLR that is weatherproof with a swiveling screen BTW? For video another big plus.

Compared to other m43s the larger size seems ot mean a larger battery and much longer battery life, but I am not sure about this. Just remember I read that here and there.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow