Jumping ship to Canon...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
entlassen
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Jumping ship to Canon...
In reply to kymarto, Mar 29, 2013

kymarto wrote:

I bought an 800e with left focus problem. Nikon fixed it perfectly in a couple of days. I use both the 800 and a Canon 5DII. Bottom line is that both are fine cameras. I find the 800 to have several advantages, though.

First, I like the ergos a lot better, but I can work with the Canon too.

Second, the bracketing function is MUCH better on Nikon--if you ever consider doing HDR.

Third, 36 Mpx is totally manageable for me, so why not have the extra, especially for cropping possibilities? Add to that the fact that with DX lenses you still get over 15 Mpx images, AND you can shoot video with DX lenses...

Fourth, the ability to pull detail out of the shadows on the 800 is phenomenal. Don't underestimate the value of this. I have been shooting with a D300, and the difference in dynamic range IS noticeable. The 800 is creamy--that's the only way I can put it. Canon goes for punchy. It is a lot easier to turn creamy into punchy than vice versa.

On the other hand, high ISO work--especially with video, is better on the Canon. And it does have a slightly higher frame rate and buffer characteristics in some senses.

For me, the Nikon is the much better choice, and I have been nothing but completely satisfied with the 800--focus issue aside, now resolved.

Why are you comparing a camera that came out in 2012 with one that came out in 2008?  May as well compare 5DIII with a D700!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow