Can i use Time Machine from an old iMac to iMac?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Re: Can i use Time Machine from an old iMac to iMac?
In reply to bravozulu, Mar 29, 2013

bravozulu wrote:

I'm planning to do the same thing. From an external 1Tb LaCie to a new iMac. I routinely backup using TM. But the RESTORE function with TM frightens me a bit, so I'm going to restore my data using Migration Assistant.

MA is one of the utilities that comes free with the Mac OS. And as someone pointed out you don't want to carry over an obsolete System during the Restore. Just your Network Preferences and Data Files and Applications. Network Preferences includes all your memorized passwords.

This process can take a few hours, depending on your cabling. I believe MA requires a Cat 5/6 cable, so with your computer dead, I doubt if your ext HDD has an Internet port, so you might just have to learn the RESTORE command in Time Machine and do it with any cable the ext drive allows.

You're wrong. He wont need to use any restore commands or a network cable. It's a simple 2 step process:

1) Plug the external drive containing the backup or copy of the data, into the new computer.

2) Run Migration Assistant on the new computer to transfer User Accounts, Applications and Settings to the new computer.

I guess they need to find a simpler word than "or" to stop it being so complicated.

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow