Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: Reading resolution charts comparing MFT lenses to FX lenses
In reply to Prairie Pal, Mar 29, 2013

Prairie Pal wrote:

I'm at photozone review website browsing through lenses for both FX and MFT.  I see that the highest resolving FX lenses can be near the 4000 lw/ph range.  The better MFT lenses rarely even get to 2300.  Is the difference between the 2 types of lenses relative?  Surely even the best MFT glass isn't inferior to FX.  I admit I can't technically explain what lw/ph is measureing, but to a certain extent I look at those graphs as a means of measuring one lens against another ie, when comparing the Sigma 35 1.4 to Nikon 35, or the various MFT primes between each other.

I remember reading an explanation on this site than the lw/ph range can't exceed the number of pixels. A perfect lens (read impossible) would translate the same lw/ph as the number of pixels to the sensor, and I think the sensor also has to have little too no filters in front. IIRC, there are color, Anti Aliasing, and possibly other filters, plus lenses are not perfect, having multiple elements etc, so the effective max lw/ph is less, but still relative to pixels. This is why the lenses tested on the GX1 score better than the ones tested on GF1, even if they in real world have similar sharpness.

If I'm remembering right (big if) then the FFs are probably on larger MP senors. Just glanced at the canon 85mm, it's tested on the 5,616 × 3,744 pixel Canon 5D Mark II. It had marks up to 3600ish at peak. The 50mm I glanced at was a little less. Let me see if they have some higher MP ones...

The Nikon tests seem to be done on the D3X (6,048 × 4,032). This one has lenses (such as a similar 85mm 1.4) that raises into the 4016 range. As expected with higher MP.

Sony has A900 (6048 x 4032) but the lenses tested don't go above 3700 it seems.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow