What should I replace a Canon i990 with?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632Gear list
Like?
What should I replace a Canon i990 with?
Mar 29, 2013

I have a Canon i990 that's ready to meet its maker.

In it's day it was a printer designed for high quality photo prints. It has 7 dye ink cartridges, and a 2pl dot size. There doesn't seem to be such a printer on the market now. Printers for people who specifically want to print photos seem to all be A3 printers.

I'm interested in 2 printers. The Canon PIXMA MG6350, and the Canon Pro-100.

My questions are:

• Would the Canon MG6350 match or better the color photo print quality of my old i990? 
  • How does the Pro-100 print quality compare with the MG6350? 

The Pro-100 has an ink drop size of 3pl (as opposed to 1pl with the MG6350). Presumably this puts it at a disadvantage when printing small prints, or is this compensated for by the additional inks?

Most of my printing (I believe) would be A4 or smaller, so an A3 printer isn't really necessary. I am also avoiding pigment ink printers (even though I love the idea of fade-resistant prints) because the inks seem expensive, and also because I like the Cibachrome look and print on Pictorico high gloss polyester film. I have read that pigment inks don't get on well with polyester film. I also don't print a high volume of prints, and the printer may remain idle for weeks at a time.

I've gone for 2 Canons because the i990 has served me well. The head rarely clogged, and I like the fact that it will allow you to print even when one of its cartridges is empty. The printer before the Canon was an Epson, and this gave me more trouble. I also quite like the fact that Canons have grey inks, and should therefore do well at B&W printing. Times have changed since the Epson I used to own though, so I am open to an Epson alternative if there's a good one.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow