a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Clyde Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Re: Clyde, :)
In reply to Hawaii-geek, Mar 29, 2013

Hawaii-geek wrote:

...a 20m  that fits on the Standard Hot shoe  ...  start shipping that.

The 20M has been announced.  Soon to be released.  It's an F20AM with an iISO/MIS adapter glued on permanently.  It highlights my embarrassment for our brand almost better than anything. Understand the deeper philosophy behind its creation.  Had Sony designed it from new, conformed to perfectly fit a99, then I could give some ground to them for foresight and vision.

But the current design only illustrates their lack of commitment to any serious flash endeavors.  It shows such lacking creativity... here's why... They left the little rubber fob on the front.  The ONLY purpose of that rubber was to protect flash and a900 prism from scarring one another.  Now that same flash sits up higher, does not fit a900, and does not fold flat against a99 SLT Hump.  But they left the rubber fob on anyway.

It's literally as if some shop manager is yelling to the assembly line to glue an adapter onto the old flash and call it a new one.  So insulting to loyalists.

Let them eat cake.

Same problems with the XLR adapter for microphones.  Not only should it have been created to attach directly to the MIS, without required cable and bracket (clumsy), but the controls are on the left side where they cannot be seen or adjusted from shooter position.  Yet the XLR cables shoot downward into the left hand of the videographer... Who's great idea was it to introduces a proclaimed integrated system by adding more cables and brackets that interfere with photographer focus hand?

Sony's design team is expressing all the ingenuity of a High School Freshman Solid Works contest.

Sorry for the rant, but when comparing this to the elegance of Canon's wireless file transfer module, and how it connects seemlessly into the body without killing anyones flash... well, it's just embarrassing for my brand.

Rant over.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow