a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,706Gear list
Like?
Clyde,
In reply to Clyde Thomas, Mar 29, 2013

Clyde Thomas wrote:

I'm happy for all you togs using old Nikon/Olympus flash and dumb single pin 3rd party radio triggers.  Good for Sony to have accommodated you and not profit a dime from it.  I'm sure that's what they had in mind.

I'm not so happy for all the 3rd party smart flash and smart TTL/HSS radio slaves who just lost their R&D cash by giving iISO the hard won acceptance we've all been waiting for.  Not so happy for those who invested cash into Sony genuine iISO flash systems either.

I don't believe we'll be seeing any 3rd party manufacturers rushing to develop the MIS.  I think we just lost all hope for that, for a very long time.  Way to think it through Sony.

And sorry folks... I'm a little miffed at those who think the new shoe is great because they can adopt competitor vintage easily.  Your willingness to express satisfaction with this is absolutely terrible for our brand.

Think about the irony if CaNikon suddenly changed to iISO...  Would it be a successful move if folks claimed "Hey, this is great for all those old Minolta flashes I had lying around".  No, the CaNikon crowd would see the bigger picture, and storm the gates with pitchforks and torches.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Clyde,

I get it.     Have a bunch of orphaned flashes. So I feel your pain.

Do know for a fact that RadioPopper would love to support the SONY  flash system.

As I have posted before , they tried to support it a year ago ,  but for some reason could not get the timing.   They said they would love to give it a go again.   And in fact was encouraged by  SONYs move to a Standard Hot shoe.  (maybe a little less proprietary?)

* with just a little help from SONY ,  you could see this in RadioPopper really soon.  And guess what ,  chances are , when RadioPopper does it ... Pocketwizards will then have to follow (at some point) Then, all the walls start falling.

and for people like me ... having a Radio TTL/Control system that can work with  Nikon/Canon and hopefully SONY Flashes on a menu selection change (same PX gear) ... and trigger AB old strobes in HHS , and mix in Manual trigger flashes, with TTL  is a good thing.

that's just how I am seeing it,

remember Beta , sony stick  ... and that was better tech  ... history is strewn with the bodys of superior tech that got killed off by non-support.

imho Sony needs to build partners and grow , not isolate and wait.

Not saying you are wrong  ...  saying the Standard Hot Shoe and SD is a smart move.  Very smart.

I will make a prediction ... that is probably an easy one ...  that sony card support in the D4 ... that's going to die a slow death.    And it looks like the prices are pretty good too. and fast.

Bought a bunch of 64gb SD Extreme PRO cards ... and I am soooo  happy not to have to buy a 64gb CF ...  Really, Really Happy. !

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow