Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Teila Day
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,276
Like?
Did you notice the italics? ;)
In reply to brianric, Mar 29, 2013

brianric wrote:

Teila Day wrote:

I think the D800 is as good as anything out there in the high iso game, and beyond that is just splitting hairs as anything beyond 6400 is generally not going to be used/accepted for work related shots anyway.  I think Nikon hit a hard (and I do mean HARD) home run with that camera.

I disagree. 12800, both on my D3S and D800 is acceptable for indoor sports, where flash isn't allowed in poorly lit venues.

There's a reason why I used the word generally in italics, and that's because generally speaking, most photographers getting paid for their work will not think of shooting at 12800 and give it to a client.  When I'm flipping through a magazine and see a news story on a war, I don't care what iso was used because I'm just wanting to get the gist of the story.  I just want to see a photograph for information purposes and not an artful presentation.  Conversely, and relatively speaking, if I'm looking at a photograph of a woman in a $7,500 wedding or ball gown, I do not want to see a colour photograph of her taken with any camera on today's market at 12800 iso as opposed to base iso.

Sports?  Mostly informational.  When looking at photographs of a race car pile up, I don't care if the photograph was taken at 100, 800, or 12800 iso because I just want to see what the scene looked like and couldn't care less about pattern noise, grain, etc.

Also, what's "acceptable" is typically determined by the paying client, not the photographer.

If the D3x is perfect for you, I encourage you to try the Canon 5d3.  You'd miss the pro body layout, but you get a heck of a lot of camera for the money (in comparison) and video.

Not practical, unless you have the money to support a second system. Quality lenses are not cheap.

2nd system doesn't mean you have to double up on the same lenses.  It's common to have a 24-70 on one cam (pro body), and an 85 on another (semi pro body), etc..   Even if you shoot sports, doesn't mean you have two 500 f/4 lenses or two 1Dx.

You simply have a back up that makes sense for whatever it is you're shooting.  Shooting a wedding?  Using a D3x with an 85 affixed (bridal shots, portraits, etc.) and a d700, d3s, or d800 with a 70-200 or 24-70 attached is common.  Doesn't mean you have to take out a mortgage and buy two pro bodies and two sets of 70-200, 24-70, 14-24, 85, 105 micro, etc.. lenses    You do what makes sense foryou at the time as long as you have a good enough back up in case the worst happens which doesn't have to be premium glass starting out for your back up.

I am a staunch advocate for fast, high quality lenses, but w/in reason.  I don't believe in "stair stepping" up to better cameras or lenses if you're using a camera to earn money.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow