Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,244Gear list
Like?
Some thought (as ex-canon owner) have you try Olympus 45mm f/1.8?
In reply to Pebbleheed, Mar 29, 2013

As an ex-canon shooter, I get what you're saying.  I'm with you on the expensive m43 fast prime prices, but I felt the need to point out the obvious:

1. You're using the Wrong Tool for the Wrong Job

Expecting shallow DOF from a Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 wide angle is just plain stupid.  Wide Angel = more Depth of Field, regardless if a fast aperture.  The longer the telephoto, the narrow the DOF.  That is just the way optics works in general.  My suggestion are

• Shoot LONG - longer lens induce telephoto-compression and blur the background
  • Shoot CLOSER - closer you are to the subject, the more background get blurs
  • Shoot FAST - f/1.8....

Once you add up all 3 factor, your answer appear to be a reasonable Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens.  That is not only the solution to your problem, but also the solution

2. APS-C does give you more background blur, but it isn't that BIG of a difference.  Having owned many canon dslr in the past and now a m43 and a sony nex.  The difference is there, but not dramatically so.  I can always shoot closer, or use a more telephoto lens to get the same effect.

If you really want Thin DOF, then you should forget APS-C Rebel and invest in a Full FrameCanon 5d/6d.  There is a dramatic difference in Thin DOF/bokeh going with FF.  Unfortuantley, so is the Big Bulky Body and 5d/6d lack build-in flash which add even more bulk

3. Expensive Fast Prime is M43 only weakness

I share your frustration here.  The $1,139.00 price tag is ridiculous.  Optic isn't great and need in camera software correction to hides its flaw.  A cheap Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non-is) around $400 is better, as are many other canon, nikon, sigma fast zoom.  You're paying a lot for a small lens without better quality.  Since lens is smaller, the material cost is also lower (less grass, less platic, less metal) yet we're paying more.

I love the small and cheap m43 camera body like ($300 GF2, $245 G3 deal), but I'm not happy about its lens price.  M43 has a razor-blade marketing strategy - selling camera body for a dime then make it back on the lens.  How about the long overdue $249 Olympus 25mm f/1.8 that was long rumored.  Or a cheaper $500 Sigma/Tamron alternative to the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 fast zoom.

M43 would be unstoppable with these cheaper alternatives.  Without them, m43 will likely remain the small enthusiast camera without mass appeal.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow