Thinking of swapping from MFT to full DSLR - Advice?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,088Gear list
Like?
Some thought (as ex-canon owner) have you try Olympus 45mm f/1.8?
In reply to Pebbleheed, Mar 29, 2013

As an ex-canon shooter, I get what you're saying.  I'm with you on the expensive m43 fast prime prices, but I felt the need to point out the obvious:

1. You're using the Wrong Tool for the Wrong Job

Expecting shallow DOF from a Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 wide angle is just plain stupid.  Wide Angel = more Depth of Field, regardless if a fast aperture.  The longer the telephoto, the narrow the DOF.  That is just the way optics works in general.  My suggestion are

• Shoot LONG - longer lens induce telephoto-compression and blur the background
  • Shoot CLOSER - closer you are to the subject, the more background get blurs
  • Shoot FAST - f/1.8....

Once you add up all 3 factor, your answer appear to be a reasonable Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens.  That is not only the solution to your problem, but also the solution

2. APS-C does give you more background blur, but it isn't that BIG of a difference.  Having owned many canon dslr in the past and now a m43 and a sony nex.  The difference is there, but not dramatically so.  I can always shoot closer, or use a more telephoto lens to get the same effect.

If you really want Thin DOF, then you should forget APS-C Rebel and invest in a Full FrameCanon 5d/6d.  There is a dramatic difference in Thin DOF/bokeh going with FF.  Unfortuantley, so is the Big Bulky Body and 5d/6d lack build-in flash which add even more bulk

3. Expensive Fast Prime is M43 only weakness

I share your frustration here.  The $1,139.00 price tag is ridiculous.  Optic isn't great and need in camera software correction to hides its flaw.  A cheap Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non-is) around $400 is better, as are many other canon, nikon, sigma fast zoom.  You're paying a lot for a small lens without better quality.  Since lens is smaller, the material cost is also lower (less grass, less platic, less metal) yet we're paying more.

I love the small and cheap m43 camera body like ($300 GF2, $245 G3 deal), but I'm not happy about its lens price.  M43 has a razor-blade marketing strategy - selling camera body for a dime then make it back on the lens.  How about the long overdue $249 Olympus 25mm f/1.8 that was long rumored.  Or a cheaper $500 Sigma/Tamron alternative to the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 fast zoom.

M43 would be unstoppable with these cheaper alternatives.  Without them, m43 will likely remain the small enthusiast camera without mass appeal.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow