What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Re: Spinning your wheels but having fun.
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 29, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

Hi Susan. My friend, I think you're spinning your wheels but having fun at it. Moreover, people are having fun answering with their favorite combinations.

Yes, you are right!  It is fun...  But it is a learning experience as well.

So, all you need is to master those two lenses and your superb camera. I know you've got talent. I've seen it. You've got a good eye and will improve there for sure. You're still in the process of learning your gear and being confident it it and you. That's understandable, but I wouldn't complicate things by buying a slew of new lenses you also would have to master.

Thank you for the compliments.  I really only want to add a couple of lenses, and gradually.

You also can now go pretty darn wide, out to 18mm which is like 27mm on an older film camera or newer FX.

That's true.  One of the things I have learned through listening to OP's suggestions and comments, is that I do already have a good range with what I already have.  Hence the thought of setting a lens at a certain focal length and shooting with it like that for a while to learn how it feels, and what I can do with it!

For macro, if money is no object, the Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO OS Macro would be my choice hands down.

That Sigma isn't cheap nor is it small. It might well be the best though. For smaller sized macro lens I prefer the newer Nikon 60 f/2.8G over all others.

Someone else also suggested the Sigma 150 macro in a different thread, and it isn't too much more expensive than the Nikon 105 micro.  I will look into it more closely as a possible first choice.

One day, you may want to good portait lens as well. I really would suggest a real portrait lens here instead of making another lens do the part because it's cheaper. Many DX shooters make a 50mm lens do the part of the portrait lens because of the price. That's a good reason, but I'd save up and get the Nikon 85 f/1.8G and if you can afford it, the Sigma 85 f/1.4 HSM for maximum magic. The Nikon 85 f/1.4G might be too expensive at $1700 and the Sigma is almost as good for that magical quality and a good bit cheaper.

While I do like doing portraits, it isn't as high on my list as macro, so not in a hurry for it.  The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 sounds like a better choice when I am ready.

Anyway, that does it for a too long of a post by far, but you know me. Good night, dear.

I always like to hear from you, Craig.  What you have to say makes a lot of sense to me, and you have been very helpful to a lot of people.  So don't worry about the post being too long!

Good night, friend. 

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow