Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,998
Like?
USB 3.0 HDD Dock that supports 4TB drives
Mar 29, 2013

I wanted to post this because I found it rather difficult to confirm whether or not various USB HDD docks supported 4TB drives or not.  I had an existing USB 3.0 HDD dock (a VanTech "NexStar" dock) which did not work with a new 4TB I bought, so needed a new one.   Based on the manufacture's claim that it had been tested with 4TB drives, I decided to buy a StarTech SATDOCKU3E dock from Amazon.ca:

I can confirm that this dock works without any issues with my Seagate 5400rpm 4TB drive (ST4000DM0000).   Not only that, but it recognized and works with the NTFS volume I created when the drive was connected to one of my internal SATA ports.   Limitations in the maximum logical block number supported by the USB mass storage protocol mean that many USB controllers have to "fake" 4TB volumes by pretending they're 4K block size devices.   The ones that do this "break" the file system when you move the drive between the dock and an internal SATA port because the internal SATA ports don't do this.

I was surprised to find that the internally-formatted volume works, and I'm still not quite sure why.   But I'm very happy to find that it does, and I wanted to pass the info on to other folks who might also be looking for an external dock for drives that are larger than 2TB.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow