Some dumb questions I have been wondering about

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,459
Like?
Re: Have you ever tried to hold a Rollei sideways?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Mar 29, 2013

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Nah! Use of square format on 120 film was more a matter of graphic designers not being able to make up their (damned) minds about how they were going to use the shots at the shooting stage...

.... they always demanding loads of crop-ability so they could try out different layouts....

... before EVENTUALLY settling on something they could change their minds about !!

Seriously, it wasn't anything to do with photographers. And wasn't anything to do with producing SQUARE pictures either. Square pictures look horrible, and photographers know that better than anybody!

In real life Hasselblad and Rollie shots were invariably cropped to vertical or horizontal rectangles before use. Hardly any pictures were actually printed square...

I believe that Rollei and Hasselblad used a 6cm X 6cm format because you could only work the camera one way. So they compromised on the format shape in case you wanted portrait orientation.

Yes. Rollies and Hasselblads could also be built a lot lighter by managing with a simple waistlevel finder, even for pictures intended to be vertically composed. The convenience was paid for in wasted film area, which, of course, was true of both vertical AND horizontal shots...

....while the lateral reversalof that waistlevel image makes for considerable framing problems with anything moving, to put it mildly!

My first camera was (620) square format. As it happens, it had both waistlevel and eyelevel cameras.... but solid body, and no way a reflex!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberj/3308485466/
--
Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow