What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
Re: What does DX have to do with it?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Mar 29, 2013

Leonard Migliore wrote:

I'm not clear on what you mean by "will function a bit differently on a DX camera". The 105 micro will have a similar field of view to the 18-105 set at 105mm. The zoom won't be as fast (f/5.6 at the long end) and won't focus as close but you'll be able to see if you like the framing for portraits.

There is no difference in focal length between a 105mm DX lens and a 105mm FX lens.

You are right.  I have heard so many people talk about the "added reach" of a lens for full frame cameras when put on a crop-sensor camera, that it keeps messing me up!  Time for me to hammer it into my head...

Focal length is constant, but the crop factor decreases the angle of view.  That is what confuses people into thinking it gives extra reach.

Let me know if I got it right this time!  Since I have not used these lenses yet, it makes it a bit more difficult to keep things straight...

Thanks, Leonard!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow