What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,768Gear list
Like?
What does DX have to do with it?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 29, 2013

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

nelsonal wrote:

I didn't think of it before but you could do the same for 105mm, too.  I think the 18-105 hits about 1:5 magnification which isn't close to 1:1 magnification though it'd be a reasonably close to the portrait lens.

Great idea!  Why didn't I think of that?...  It wouldn't be quite the same, though, since the 105mm micro will function a bit differently on a DX camera.  I don't have any closeup lenses to add, wonder if there is another way to simulate?

I'm not clear on what you mean by "will function a bit differently on a DX camera". The 105 micro will have a similar field of view to the 18-105 set at 105mm. The zoom won't be as fast (f/5.6 at the long end) and won't focus as close but you'll be able to see if you like the framing for portraits.

There is no difference in focal length between a 105mm DX lens and a 105mm FX lens.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow