What % of DLSR buyers stick with kit lens only?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like to know too!
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 29, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

I'd tape that zoom at 35mm and use it for a while, maybe an outing. See if it hinders your habits.

I don't think a zoom should be used to frame. I think it's best to do that with your feet so you can discover better perspectives....Used this way, a zoom is just as good as a prime for making you aware of the various creative perspectives that are awaiting you.

I might have to walk around my property and take some "useless" pictures just to test it out!  The reason I say "useless" is because right now everything is brown, except the sky which is gray - the light stinks.  But it would let me get a feel for it.  And maybe I'll get lucky and the sun will come out.

The real advantage of the 35 f/1.8 is the one to two stops or so of maximum aperture and the somewhat sharper optics many prime lenses give.

Better glass is one of my hopes for the future!  My two kit lenses aren't so bad, but I look forward to having some faster ones.  The 35mm seems a great place to start.

Thank you!  I'll let you know how it works out.

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow