need new head recommendations

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: need new head recommendations
In reply to sooflyfisher, Mar 29, 2013

In a similar situation, and I can you what the consensus will be: Head that supports the Arca Swiss plates.  Didn't do it when I purchased heads for the monopod & tripod, and I'm regretting ... especially after so many on this site had pointed me in the proper direction.

Some brands that I get high marks are RRS, Markins, Kirk, and Arca Swiss.  Probably going for Acratech.  Have a Gitzo Safari ball head 1780FQR, and though it works great on my tripod with my P&S, will not push it on the tripod with a long zoom or telephoto lens.

Do not just go by the load ratings: Look the reviews.  Gitzo's 1780 magnesium heads are light, but get mixed ratings, even though they are rated for 10 kg.  Trust it with a heavy load on the monopod, but not the tripod.

Have a Manfrotto tilt head on my monopod rated at 2 kg.  Works great!  Double locking on the quick release plate.  QR plate uses a D-ring to attach to the camera; no complaints.

Have a tripod collar?  If not, get one.  Even if your lens has more than enough support, you don't want it wobbling.

Sounds like you have pricey, do not short change your support system.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow