Finally...Tamron beats Nikon

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
Re: Finally...Tamron beats Nikon
In reply to krikman, Mar 28, 2013

krikman wrote:

I don't want to own a 70-300 lens that's not sharp at 300mm. Like most people I'm very interested in the reach and subject isolation associated with it. This is exactly where the Tamron is ahead of the Nikon.

I won't sharp lens anymore. As I said before every and each samsung or iPhone or every $15 smartphone pocket camera is sharp enough. Actually they're much sharper than DSLR.>>

Uhhh, actually they're not. The optics of a smartphone lack the resolution to come even close. I really can't even imagine what you're talking about. I've got a Galaxy Note 2 sitting here and I know first-hand it's resolution/sharpness limits. It's not even CLOSE to a DSLR.

But there is more in lens than simply sharpness.

That's true, but poor sharpness can ruin an otherwise good photo completely. Poor bokeh is very subjective and I've seen many important photos taken where bokeh was poor.

Sharp enough photo. But honestly that 300 mm direct looking face with both ears visible and distorted perspective and no eyes at all looks as dead body. Impressive photo but no life here.

Try not to shoot straight ahead faces or shoot it at 90-135 mm.

Sorry, but I don't agree and neither did the subject or his wife. They loved the pic, especially since he was standing pretty far away (this is a crop) on a boat. This result is very close to what I'd have gotten with my 300mm f4.

I noticed you did not mention these shots!

Again, they are very happy with the shots and I was glad to leave the heavier glass behind. I typically use these lenses at the long end. While I could do that with the Nikon it took more sharpening and the VR was significantly less effective than the Tamron VC. Perhaps you've seen ThatNikonGuy showing how the Tamron VC works better than even the 70-200 VRII?

In the end BOTH of these lenses are good. IF the Nikon has some advantage in Bokeh it's not enough to pull me away from the superior resolution afforded by the Tamron. Assuming you do your part BOTH lenses can give very good results.

But I'm glad I parted ways with the Nikon version!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
VCNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow