New Canon Rebel closing the gap on M4/3s

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,756Gear list
Like?
Re: A brave and interesting post.
In reply to CollBaxter, Mar 28, 2013

CollBaxter wrote:

who want to go smaller but not tiny and retain the full functionality of a fully fledged DSLR system.

Which is what the previous rebels addressed... dropping a camera grip, shaving the left/top of the body matter nothing to portability in the scheme of things.  Rather they present an ergonomic challenge to standard camera use (large barreled lenses of all focal lengths now extend down past the camera body, finger-palm hand grip compromised with no change in lens weight = greater cantilever stress).  I was just shooting the moonset with my 550D this morning and considered again how awkward it handled with a 70-200/2.8IS (far worse balance than even my old GF1 + 45-200).  Right now, only a few legacy primes, the 18-55IS and small aperture telephotos (55-250 IS) feel "right" for walk-around on the rebel.

The new "slim" camera is nothing more than a cynical slight of hand to distract the masses, retain customers, and provide false hope of a course towards "miniaturization" - confusing an ignorant, yet otherwise would-go-mirrorless type, undecided consumer.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow