What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 28, 2013

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

Excellent advice, Rich.  Although I am at a point where I do want to increase my lens collection, I want to do it gradually and smartly.  Thus my posting of this thread, to get input from those who have gone through it all.  Always learn from the mistakes of others!  Although I cannot spend the money to get the lenses that are upwards of $2,000, I am going to buy the best I can.

A good wide-angle for landscapes.  Suggested was Nikon 10-24mm

A macro that can double as a portrait lens.  Nikon 105mm

Much later, for wildlife/birds - Nikon 300mm f/4 + TC

Thinking about a fast prime for walk-around lens.  Nikon 35mm f/1.8

Any comments/suggestions on this would be much appreciated.  Thank you for your input.

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

Susan

1. You may also want to consider a Nikon 12-24 DX Afs f4. Its not as wide as the 10-24, but with a constant top aperture, it produces very good images. its corners are better than the 10-24, and its distortion at 12mm is not as radical as the 10-24 at 10. It is expensive. 
  2. Since you have a D7000, the AFS DX 85 3.5 macro is an alternative. Photozone has a comprehensive review of this lens on your camera: http: //www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/636-nikkorafsdx85vr  .  I would agree that the Nikon 105 vr is preferred, but is twice the cost.  
  3. The 300 f4 is a lovely lens. I wish I hadn't sold it. There is a good chance that a new model with VR will be coming out. Since you are not buying  right away, either wait until the new one comes out, or when it does come out, buy the current model used or on discount. The current model does have a slight flaw. Its tripod mount is flimsy. Kirk has a remedy at about $170.  
  4. I have no problem with you wanting a 35 1.8 DX

My only question is do you intend to go full frame (FX) at some point in the future? If you do, only buy DX lenses that you absolutely need. Buy the rest of lenses that will handle FX cameras. I am now out of DX and still have two lenses which I will be selling.

good luck

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow