Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cutterpup
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
Simple 50mm macro or (not vs) 14-54 zoom for my purposes question
Mar 28, 2013

Hi all.  Guess the title says it all.  Right now I am using the E620 with the standard 2 lens kit and, a 70-300 zoom.  I have legacy Pentax glass (50mm 1.7, 200mm 3.5 and the 50mm macro) that are all from the film days.  I also have the Olympus ex-25 extension tube.

Since it will be at least a year before I make any changes, if at all, in my camera gear I have decided to add a "better" lens to my small stable.  I am torn between the 14-54 and the more expensive 50mm.  My main uses will be macro"ish" photo of plants (not always needing 1:1 magnification), pet portraits and outdoor still life..trees, rocks, musicaL instruments placed in whimsical spots.  You get the picture, no pun intended.

From my research the 50mm macro is the better quality lens and will allow, with the ex-25, full 1:1 macro, and is definitly faster.  On the other hand the 14-54 is more versatile and is a better, and faster lens than my kit 14-42.

Also, from my research, I understand why either of these lenses would give me better results than using older glass made for film cameras

So, I am looking for a little guidance.  I know the final choice is mine, but I think I need to hear some additional pros and cons.

Thanks in advance.

Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow