Good 50mm Lens For Sony Nex ... on a Budget?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?
Minolta Rokkor 45/2 Pancake!
In reply to Louno, Mar 28, 2013

Louno wrote:

Hi everyone,
I think I've decided to purchase a NEX camera (either new NEX-3R or used NEX-5R), but I'll also be needing a 50mm (or similar) lens  that I plan to use mainly for food photography (for a recipe blog).

I want very sharp image with shallow depth of field and nice "creamy" bokeh, all this on a budget, is it possible?

I would have liked to get the Sony NEX DT 50mm f/1.8 OSS however, it is a little expensive (350$ +tx) for me to buy right after the initial camera purchase... I`d rather not use any adapter on the NEX body to minimize bulk but it might be worth it to save money. I started looking at some used lens, I'm not sure where to begin, there are a lot, maybe you guys can help narrow it down?

I know I could get a very good like new condition AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D for 100$, the converter is about 25$. Is there anything better available? Or something equally good but with an adapter that would allow access to a better selection of lens maybe?

I see there are some other adapters for around 15-30$ and for many different mount types... Are there some type of adapter that are considered more "versatile" or give access to the most variety of quality lens on a budget and that work well with the NEX system?

Note that I would like to avoid paying 200$ just for an adaptor, I know this might mean the loss of auto focusing but I dont think it's much of a deal? It seems pretty easy to manual focus with the "focus peaking" feature...?
Thanks !

Minolta Rokkor 45/2 Pancake, Pentax 55/1.8, Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4, Minolta Rokkor 58/1.4, or Zeiss Jenna MC PANCOLAR 50/1.8 are all very affordable and very good.

The Minolta 45/2 is an amazing lens, KEH has one in EX+ for $56.00.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow