New Canon Rebel closing the gap on M4/3s

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,204Gear list
Like?
Re: A brave and interesting post.
In reply to CollBaxter, Mar 28, 2013

CollBaxter wrote:

Actually a lot of people are thinking that at the moment. As an Olympus user who has not bought into m4/3 for a lot of reasons  the release of the D100 is very interesting. Its also interesting  to people outside this forum and a few others  who want to go smaller but not tiny and retain the full functionality of a fully fledged DSLR system. Some users prefer a camera with a bit of meat behind it. The OMD is a great camera but it's not cheap and if you are such a user (Who likes a bit of feel to the camera)  by the time you have dressed it up to go out and get a job ( Added  grip and battery) it actually becomes an  expensive camera. (My personal felling)

And before there are comparisons of weight etc , etc  getting dug up there are a few reasons for my thoughts.  The D100 is the first real  small DSLR camera from the big boys with full DSLR systems and is now an alternative to people who want to go smaller and still have the backup of a fully fledged professional system.

Your conclusion is incorrect. The camera body - unless it is as big as a EOS 1D series - isn't by far the main thing, which makes your photographic equipment small. It is the lenses! The EF and EF-S lenses are simply too big to convince a lot of people, who want a smaller camera system.

The selection of m4/3 lenses is already big enough to make 90% of photographers happy. Some special niches aren't yet covered, like tilt&shift lenses, extreme telephoto lenses, and some macro specialities, but that's it. So, for many, m4/3 is already full-fledged.

Therefore, I don't think that the EOS 100D is a major thread to m4/3. It rather shows that Canon is not willing to create something innovative and new, and shows that now is the time to switch, if you want to get small.

This is not knocking m4/3 all I am saying is that there is now an alternative for a lighter,  smaller camera with out have to start over .  As to lenses well they might be a bit bigger but you can mix and match form the many available right up a 800mm big white tube.

My opinion is that the GH3 is about the right size.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow