Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,330Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't edit RAW with FastStone
In reply to Mikedigi, Mar 28, 2013

Mikedigi wrote:

Ronomy wrote:

I have SP pro 5.0, and Neat Image which I love on the SOOC jpgs sometimes so all I wanted was a good viewer and boy I downloaded Picasa and will never look at another viewer.  Fabulous!  I didn't need any editing controls although I think it has some.

I find FastStone Image Viewer views sharper than Picasa 3 and has that amazing compare-up-to-4-pics feature.

I edit in Picasa and it's great.

Having used both I finished up using the best of each (to my eyes):

FastStone Image Viewer for viewing, sorting, comparing (brilliant), deleting, resizing and batch
resizing, cropping, straightening (without losing sharpness), and a lot more. Magic.
Picasa for general photo editing - brightness, contrast (highlights/shadows), colour saturation, colour temperature, sharpness, etc, - and for adding text. For many photos, the one-click "I'm Feeling Lucky" button does a good job. The Wiggers Hack helps a lot.
Note: For straightening, I avoid Picasa, it reduces sharpness. I use the straightening tool in FastStone Image Viewer.

Mike

Mike,

If you edit in Picasa, you might find this modification useful. It sets the lighting sliders in the middle of their ranges, so you can tune both "up" and "down" instead of only one way.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/40065385

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow