FZ200: Silkypix RAW and Standard JPG comparison

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,435Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't edit RAW with FastStone
In reply to Ronomy, Mar 28, 2013

Ronomy wrote:

I have SP pro 5.0, and Neat Image which I love on the SOOC jpgs sometimes so all I wanted was a good viewer and boy I downloaded Picasa and will never look at another viewer.  Fabulous!  I didn't need any editing controls although I think it has some.

I find FastStone Image Viewer views sharper than Picasa 3 and has that amazing compare-up-to-4-pics feature.

I edit in Picasa and it's great.

Having used both I finished up using the best of each (to my eyes):

FastStone Image Viewer for viewing, sorting, comparing (brilliant), deleting, resizing and batch
resizing, cropping, straightening (without losing sharpness), and a lot more. Magic.
Picasa for general photo editing - brightness, contrast (highlights/shadows), colour saturation, colour temperature, sharpness, etc, - and for adding text. For many photos, the one-click "I'm Feeling Lucky" button does a good job. The Wiggers Hack helps a lot.
Note: For straightening, I avoid Picasa, it reduces sharpness. I use the straightening tool in FastStone Image Viewer.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow