Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
In reply to Tom Lusk, Mar 28, 2013

Tom Lusk wrote:

From the intro:

With a focal length of 560mm (840mm equivalent in the 24x36 mm format),

Huh?

24x36mm is 135 format or "full frame". I imagine he brings that up since it is a DA lens.

So an 840mm lens used on full frame would look the same as this lens used on APS-C (field of view).  The lens is still a 560mm lens

I utterly despise the idea of "equivalent focal length" (too much confusion).  Spec sheets for C mount lenses list field of view for the various sensor sizes which is more logical to my Vulcan self.

I frequently see people misusing focal length and will say things like I have to have my 35mm lens for my crop sensor, when they really mean they want a 23mm lens, not a 35mm lens.  They leave off the term "equivalent", which is really confusing.  This is really bad in the Fuji forums or even on NEX forums sometimes, where there might be a lot of shooters more used to film, or somehow figure the only proper format is 135.

I think the Pentax forums are the only sensible ones regarding this, and likely because they lack a full frame model and have excellent support for APS-C lenses.

Sorry, I will get off my soap box now.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow