What % of DLSR buyers stick with kit lens only?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,129Gear list
Like?
Probably well over 50%
In reply to mobi1, Mar 28, 2013

I think that well over 50% only ever buy the 18-55mm kit lens.

I base this estimate on two facts:

1. About 10-12 years ago when DSLRs were only owned by professionals and the market was still dominated by film SLRs, I read an astonishing statistic that the Canon 28-85mm film SLR kit lens accounted for 80% of Canon lens sales.  This can only have been correct if 80%+ of Canon SLR owners never bought anything other than the kit lens.
  2. I live in a tourist town, Bath, UK.  On any day in the centre of town around the Roman Baths and the Abbey there are 15-20 tourists with DSLRs and the majority of them are using an 18-55mm lens without a lens hood.  (Canon and Nikon 18-55mm lenses are very easy to spot because the zoom ring occupies so much of the barrel.)  Of course the D800 and 5D MkIII photographers could be have been out at dawn and are now back in bed!
-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow