Help me plan a system upgrade...

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,981
Like?
don't know -- disable Win 8 fast startup features....
In reply to malch, Mar 28, 2013

malch wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Chances are, the system is already using AHCI with compatible drivers installed, so you wouldn't need to change that part.

I'm very curious what Storage Controller drivers are installed by default. If you have a second, could you take a peek at Device Manager on a XPS 8500 and see what drivers/versions you have installed currently.

I'm guessing it's a Intel drivers but probably 11.1.0.1006 versus the 11.7.0.1013 I just installed here.

I don't have one.   I have multiple Dell products, but not that model.  I just suggest it to others because it gets good reviews and has a lot of "bang for the buck".

The Editor for the camera review site I work for has one.  He bought a "loaded" XPS 8500 Special Edition not long ago with a 256GB mSATA SSD (and Dell uses a Samsung 830 chipset for their mSATA models like that), 2TB hard drive, blue ray writer, 32GB of DDR3, Win 8 Pro, Nvidia GTX 660 and more (a system they sell for around $2K retail, but he bought one on sale for a lot less).  He loves it.

But, I'm pretty sure he would have upgraded the drivers by now, as he's good about that kind of thing.

As for your comments about Linux.     Be careful in that area.

Note that if you decide to stick with Windows 8, you'll want to disable the fast boot features.

That's because Windows 8 uses something similar to Hibernate in order to give you faster shutdown and startup; and you can end up with data corruption trying to access file systems that were not completely updated during a Windows 8 shutdown process with other Operating Systems like Linux, because of the way Windows 8 works (as it may leave writes cached in memory stored in a hibernate type file to give you the better shutdown and startup speed).

Here's an article on the subject:

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Linux-and-Windows-8-Fast-Startup-puts-data-at-risk-1780640.html

IOW, Windows 8 is basically using "smoke and mirrors" to give you the performance increases you sometimes see mentioned as one of it's benefits, because it's not really doing a full shutdown by default, making startup times faster because it's just reloading a file with a memory snapshot (versus starting the OS up from scratch again), probably compressed in some manner to make the reload faster (although I don't understand all of the details about how it works, it's obvious it doesn't really shut down the PC like the shutdown process worked in previous Windows versions).

So, it's best to disable the features like that in Windows 8 to make sure you don't put data at risk when using a different OS to access the same file systems.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow