Decent manual focus landscape lens?

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Questions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,540Gear list
Like?
Re: Decent manual focus landscape lens?
In reply to JPG, Mar 28, 2013

JPG wrote:

Seriously, I think if you ride a bike and want to take landscape shots, the 16-50mm. kit lens would be the best as they are so compact.  However, my favorite manual lens is the f/2.8, Distagon 28mm Carl Zeiss Contax/Yashica of my old SLR days.  It's just as big as the 18-55mm Sony kit lens and it wll cost just as much, but it is a great lens, but, for a biker's practical use, Sony's 16-50mm kit is probably the better choice.

I agree - complaints about the 16-50mm are WAY overblown by people who shoot test charts. Stopped down one or 2 stops, at 16mm, it's enough to make me question the weight of carrying my 11-16mm Tokina, except for cathedral/mosque interiors.

The trick with the 16-50 is to NOT pick the first focus point after turning it on and pointing it at the subject - do a couple of half-depressed shutter button pushes.

One thought - when you shoot "landscapes" what precisely do you expect, and where will you be shooting? If desert and basically nothing for miles but flatness, a wide angle isn't very useful - to get the bang out of it,  I think you need a distinct near, middle and distant object to get the depth that makes "WOW!"

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow