What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 28, 2013

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

My simple reasoning is that unless you need to go to 1:1 (which most flower pictures don't require), the extra working distance of the 105 becomes more of a pain that an advantage (different story for bugs). Indoors, the 105VR is next to impossible to use for people photos unless all you want is a single head in the shot. Like 85mm lenses on DX, I just find it way too long.

Thank you for the suggestion.  Problem is, I DO want to go 1:1, taking pictures of bugs as well as flowers.  That is why I seriously consider the 105mm.  OP have said it is a great portrait lens, so perhaps if I get a chance to go to NYC and visit the B&H superstore, I can get a feel for it first before buying.  Perhaps in the end, I will have to buy a different lens for portraits...  Not having a camera store close to where I live hurts when trying to make these kinds of decisions!

Forgive me if I missed it, but this is the first time you've mentioned bug macros. Regardless, the 60/2.8 micro can do 1:1, just not at the same working distance as the 105VR, though the 105VR can't come close to the working distance of the 200/4 micro either (see the slippery slope there?). I suggested the 60/2.8 based on it being a nice compromise lens to get you two of your main needs in one fairly cheap lens. The 105VR costs twice as much and, in my opinion, is less useful for portraits since it will be so long on a DX camera indoors. Try your 18-105mm at full zoom to see what I mean.

Of course, if you have the money and don't care about being space limited indoors, the 105VR for macro and an 85/1.4 for portrait will be a nice combo on DX.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow