Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ed Klein
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
D7100 - Noisy autofocus in video?
Mar 28, 2013

I recently got my D7100 as a replacement for my long and well serving D90.  Admittedly, one of my big drivers for the upgrade was the improvement to the video capability over the D90.  Instead of opting to spend several hunderd on a digital camcorder, I chose to sell the D90 and put that and the camcorder budget into the D7100.

So far, image and video quality wise, I've been well pleased with the upgrade.  However, one thing that bugs me is how noisy the focus motor is during video recording and how much it hunts for focus.

Of course, the D90 couldn't autofocus during video at all, so I had been looking forward to the extra flexibility of being able to move about with the D7100 while videoing.

Yet, even though the 18-105VR that I kept from the D90 has a USM motor, the noise it makes it quite noticeable on the video.  It also wouldn't bee so bad if it weren't hunting so much, even when it the shot is still clearly in focus.  I had the configuration set on the wide area mode, so I don't understand why it was so jumpy.

I hadn't really seen any mention of this before when I've been reading about these newer Nikon's.  what has everyone else's experience been?

As the example, this is the first video I put together for a school project for my daughter.  Particularly during the second segment where she's describing the setup, the lens noise and defocusing are particularly severe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nha8NiiwY6w

Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow