TG-2 sample shot at ISO 100 and my initial impression

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,014Gear list
Like?
Re: TG-2 sample shot at ISO 100 and my initial impression
In reply to Flex M, Mar 28, 2013

Flex M wrote:

Thanks for the samples! To me it looks like IQ of these lil cams has got worse and worse.

Only if you view them at 100% (which means, at higher and higher magnification).

The Oly has clean low iso with lots of smearing. The Pentax has lots of noise already at base iso plus a poor lens, maybe with a just lil bit less smearing. What choice??

It's a bit of a design choice - Pentax has less chroma NR than Olympus.

My circa '06 Pentax W10 (6 mpx) produces better (base iso) IQ than the new model!

Try downsizing the 12MP shots to 6MP, and compare the difference in noise and sharpness.

But the main advantage of the TG-2 over the W10 is that it has a much wider "comfort envelope".  It's useable in much lower ligth levels.

Also it looks like the WG-3 has the exact same sensor as the WG-2 which is going on close-out pricing now .. again what choice?

Even if it was the exact same sensor (I don't think it is), two extra stops of light make a huge difference.

Boris

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow