Who would buy a 'Sigma' 12/2.8 Prime @ $399

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd prefer f1.4...
In reply to Future user, Mar 28, 2013

Future user wrote:

f2.8 would be too little difference from the f3.5 kit to me. I'd prefer a f1.4 and sharp wide open. Am I dreaming? There would be a great trinity: 12mm f1.4, 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8.

That lens sounds wonderful, but my mind is whirling as I try to imagine the complex lens elements and their shapes necessary to keep the image distortion down to a reasonable level.  Not that it's impossible, just really tricky, both in design as well as in manufacturing.  If it could be made, it'd have to be pretty pricey.

One thing that I keep having to wrap my head around is that there are different economic models used for m4/3 than for FF.  Somebody willing to pay a few thousand dollars for a FF Nikon or Canon might be willing to pay another $2K for a sharp 24mm f1.4, like the AF-S Nikkor 24mm F1.4G ED.  That's because either they are wealthy enough to afford the most expensive toys, or they make a living using their cameras and money spent means even more money earned.  m4/3, as good as it's become, still doesn't draw heavily from the especially well-healed nor professional photographers.  So while the medium is capable of even better optical quality lenses than exist, the consumer base which it draws from limits the economic viability of producing the lovely lenses which you and I might dream about.

But who knows--perhaps Olympus' much alluded to high and low end follow-ups to the OM-D might begin to create a stronger draw to professionals and affluent photo enthusiasts that would create a market base which demands higher quality optics, and would be willing to pay for it.

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow