Is professional photography dying out?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
deleted080512
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Is professional photography dying out?
In reply to alpha90290, Mar 28, 2013

I do have a youtube account but nobody views it. I did get a few hundred views from my assembly/disassembly of my automatic. That was about it though. I did at one time have a video of me telling everybody how great my photography was and somebody else proclaiming the same but no viewers. Nobody was interested.

As far as Facebook is concerned. That was a bust too - I had a photography webpage but absolutely nobody viewed it so in the end I dumped it.

To get anywhere online you have to start from a critical mass of viewers or it just doesn't work. I have never had any luck with this online garbage, no matter how much money I throw at it. As an example, I tried advertising a sideline that nobody else does locally and had a Facebook paid advert. All I got was site hits but zero page views. That was an education for $25 of the worthlessness of Facebook.

I have tried all the avenues. I had a 3 month TV advert running every 15 minutes for $1,000 all in. It got me zero callers. It was pretty well targeted too.

There are 140 people advertising photography locally in an area of 250K people. I know one lady with her own studio - in a mall - that works daycare as well because the photography does not pay enough. I know one couple who seem to move their studio around at the drop of a hat; presumably when the first month's rent is due.

Try explaining to Joe Soap and Jane Doe down the street why your photo with a DSLR is better than their photo taken with a cellphone. Some of those cellphones are pretty darned good - even in low light. I think you'll find that's where part of the problem is. The only photos people want these days are photos they can put up on Facebook.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow