What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 28, 2013

Because you have an interest in macro and portraits, I'm going throw out this fairly inexpensive option:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545660-USA/Nikon_2177_AF_S_Micro_Nikkor_60mm_f_2_8G.html

I don't own it but based on my experience with using a 105VR on a D300S for portrait and macro, if I had to do it again this is the lens I'd buy. My simple reasoning is that unless you need to go to 1:1 (which most flower pictures don't require), the extra working distance of the 105 becomes more of a pain that an advantage (different story for bugs). Indoors, the 105VR is next to impossible to use for people photos unless all you want is a single head in the shot. Like 85mm lenses on DX, I just find it way too long.

A 60mm lens on DX gives you an equivalent 90mm lens which is right in the mix between 85 and 105mm lenses which on full frame are far more usable indoors in my experience.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow