What % of DLSR buyers stick with kit lens only?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 634Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd like to know too!
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 28, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

Prior to that most SLR's kit lens was a 50 f/2 or f/1.8 prime and it usually was very good like today's kit lens. Many learned on those old prime lenses and kept them. I think today's kit can be a keeper for many, especially the better kits like Nikon's 18-105 VR and possibly Canon's new 18-135 STM. They are good enough to build an APS-C kit around, I believe, especially with the better dim light charactoristics of most new cameras.

Hi Craig!

Yes, when I purchased my camera (first DSLR) I did concentrate on the camera more than the lenses.  But my motivation was to get a camera to grow into, not out of.

Recently I have been investigating what lenses I should buy to make my lens collection better, and realized that the 18-105 "kit" lens IS a good lens.  Probably many who buy their cameras with "kit" lenses are using them (as I have) as "training wheels"!  However, some people never take them off and progress to the next level...  If they are happy, that's great.

What you said about building an APS-C kit around these lenses is what I have decided is the best way to proceed.  Do you think that the 35mm f/1.8 would be a good addition, or would it be better to use the 18-105 at 35mm at least for a while first?

Regards!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow