Mirrorless Recommendation ( Sony Vs Olympus? )

Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,354Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless Recommendation ( Sony Vs Olympus? )
In reply to Louno, Mar 28, 2013

Lack of stabilization with faster (or wide angle) lens doesn’t bother me especially considering that the new sensors (even the old 14MP sensor on my NEX-3) are pretty darn good and especially if you shoot RAW (in which case, you take control over camera processing). For most practical purposes, I’m actually an ISO priority shooter. I adjust ISO for shutter speed. When I have Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar (a fantastic lens, even wide open), I simply make sure that I’m getting 1/80s.

I also use Sony 35mm f/1.8 SAM (A-mount version which I’d picked for $165, but requires adapter and works really well with LA-EA1 with MF… AF will work but you may never want to use it). With this lens, and since the camera knows the focal length, it will try to keep shutter speed at 1/60s if Auto ISO is selected and the aperture/max ISO limit has not been reached.

That brings me to a recommendation. You could surely go legacy, and there are fantastic lenses out there including Canon FD, Minolta MD, Nikons, Super Takumar/Pentax, Olympus, Konica AR…  and be extremely satisfied. But you can also try to find a deal on LA-EA1 (I’d found mine for $90). I also got lucky and had found Sigma 24mm f/2.8, A-mount, for $40 (off  Craigslist), had Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7 (often found for under $100).

With LA-EA1, I would recommend MF (screw drive lenses don’t AF on LA-EA1, they do on EA2). An additional benefit: full EXIF. Yet another benefit? Most of the EXIF possible even with M42 screw mount lenses, if you put M42 screw mount lenses on chipped Minolta A-mount adapter, which can then go on EA1. In this case, I say, “most EXIF” since if you get the M42-MA adapter chipped for 50mm f/1.4, you will need to have the aperture in the camera wide open (so f/1.4 will be recorded on EXIF, but of course, you may have a different aperture selected on the lens).

One advantage to recommending EA1 has to do with minimizing gear size/weight. It is light to begin with (also has a tripod mount). But, not ideal is ultimate compactness is desired. However, if you happen to have a collection of M42 and A-mount lenses (as I), you need only one adapter (EA1). And while you also need adapter for M42 lens, M42-MA adapter work better if you have EA1 (also for the reason stated above) and they are thin, not taking additional space.

Or, you can stick with just one mount so the adapter is shared by all legacy lens, instead of several adapters for several lenses from different mounts. Of course, this won’t address the size issue of the lens plus adapter on the camera. However, another way I look at it, my Zeiss 50/1.7 w/CY adapter on NEX is only marginally longer than Sony 50/1.8. Ideally though, I would recommend 35mm/1.8 OSS, but it is clearly outside your budget.

User interface can be a tough call (the only thing I have an issue with, in my NEX-3). For the same price, I might pick 5R (also for the added flexibility of adding EVF etc if you so choose at a later date).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow