What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
roby17269
Contributing MemberPosts: 911Gear list
Like?
Re: LBA beware
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Mar 28, 2013

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

roby17269 wrote:

Wait till you become a "prime snob"!

If you do, you'll end up selling zooms and buying more primes to cover the important focal lengths... thus multiplying your collection.

Only time will tell which way I go!  I am probably too lazy to go that route - do love the versatility of a good zoom.  You still have your 70-200 f/2.8, so apparently you don't plan to go all the way prime!

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

Let me tell you, when I started I was trying to get zooms with the goal of completely covering the widest possible focal length range. Then I moved into fashion photography and converted to primes.

Matter of fact, I also have the 8-15mm f/4L

But the 8-15 is a specialty lens with fun factor and the 70-200 is probably the best zoom in Canon's line-up with prime-like quality.

In reality, I am not dogmatic and evaluate lenses one-by-one... Surely, if I'll manage to save enough for it, I will get a 200 f/2L (sooner or) later... and that would see the 70-200 looking for a new home, because the 85 + 100 macro + 135 + 200 would cover the range fairly well... The only issue with the 200 being the risk of my wife divorcing me

-- hide signature --
 roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Nik Silver Efex Pro Nik Color Efex Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Canon EOS-1D X +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow