Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,244
Like?
Re: 9-18 or RX100
In reply to Thin_Ice, Mar 28, 2013

Thin_Ice wrote:

Thanks for the good advice here.

Most of the time i am guiding or instructing groups.  As a consequence, there are plenty of camara's around, and there is no need to carry another compact.

I am also not looking for "postcard shots", but want to bring back pictures of people/groups in this special setting. The guide is also responsible for the foto souvenirs...

My first idea was the 17 mm 1.8, but i think this one gives not the right posibilities in perspectives.  Then i was thinking of the 9-18, but overall i am a bit underwelmed by the pictures in the flickr pool.  I dont like to much distortion, especially in pictures with people on them.

The 12 mm is pricy, only one focal length and falls within the zoom range of the expected quality zoom.  On the other hand, the 12 mm is small and the pictures I have seen, really stand out.  F 2 could be usefull in the morning before sunrise and at the dinner table in the mountain cabin.  12 mm shoul be fine for summit portraits.

The 45 mm seems an excellent option to shoot stitched panoramas, but i am affraid that i don't have the time to switch lenses during the day.

any other thoughts / am i underestimating the 9-18 / should I go for the 12 mm?

Steven

Hi, Steven,

First, the e-M5 is a great choice and will serve you well. As to a one-lens solution, I agree the 12-35 is probably hard to beat from the current choices. I don't own one, but do have the 12-50, the 20/1.7 and the 45/1.8. The primes are pretty brilliant but not weatherproof. The zoom is quite decent and weatherproof, but quite slow, meaning less ability to achieve shallow DOFs. Nevertheless, it's the lens I use most for my backpacking trips in the mountains, because it's a good range and I don't worry about using it in bad weather.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow