Veteran MemberPosts: 4,130Gear list
Like?
Re: Question about Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
In reply to Anders W, Mar 28, 2013

Anders W wrote:

SHood wrote:

Anders W wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Shutter Slap?...so your thinking thats what is causing the blurred EM5 shots?

My E-M5 has shutter shock issues between 1/20 and 1/200 (approximately) with the 100-300 as well as other longer lenses (40-150, 45-200, 75/1.8) and I have reasons to think that I have tested this more carefully than just about anyone else on this forum. For the 100-300, you need at least 1/250, preferably 1/320 regardless of whether you use IBIS or OIS. With the 100-300 at 300, the impact of the shock is clearly visible even when shooting from a pretty good tripod with long anti-shock enabled.

I put it down to IBIS and my technique first round...we shall see soon I'll shoot them all side x side birding and compare shutter speed, ISO, and F-Stops...

I don't think IBIS is causing the problem. It's just that it can't correct for the shutter shock, presumably because the speed/frequencies involved are far higher than those of human handshake. OIS can't either. The only lens where I have found a difference between IBIS and OIS when it comes to the ability to counter the shutter shock is with the 14-45. In this case, OIS is preferable on that ground.

Yes, I found the shutter slap is a limiting factor, even on my GH3.  I agree that 1/250s is a good starting point for consistent results.  But I have been finding good results with 1/200s if I use the Hi-speed burst as the shutter doesn't stay open between shots so there is less vibration after the first shot. The negative is that you loose liveview but the slightly faster shutters speed is worth it to me.

Interesting idea. You use burst mode to simulate the anti-shock setting available on Oly but not Pany bodies so that you get only the second part of the shock (that from the shutter opening for exposure and then closing again), not the first part (the shutter closing to prepare the sensor for exposure).

I have tried the silent shutter but I noticed at most an additional 1/3 stop improvement but was concerned about the slow sensor read where movement can be skewed.

Strange that you don't find more of an improvement from using the electronic shutter. Are you talking about the 100-300 at 300 specifically here or about the impact more generally? The slow sensor read-out (about 100 ms) of course limits its use anyway, but when you can use it, you have no shutter shock at all.

So the OIS also seems to be limited and not much benefit with the silent shutter in my use.

It could of course be that the OIS on the 100-300 isn't all that good so that when you eliminate one problem (shutter shock) you hit on another more or less immediately (not so efficient stabilization). I guess you are already aware that you should upgrade to the latest firmware of the 100-300 (the one which appeared about a year ago) if you haven't already. That promises improved OIS performance and in my testing with the G1 I was using at that point it did make a noticeable difference.

It would be interesting to see what the IBIS of the E-M5 could do with this lens if it were unhampered by shutter shock issues. But I am afraid there is no easy way to test that.

Yes, I have the latest lens firmware and my comments were referring to handheld at 300mm which is where I use it 99% of the time.  On a tripod the silent shutter could be more useful if your subject is not moving.  I have not tested that.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow