What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to nelsonal, Mar 28, 2013

nelsonal wrote:

35mm fov (on a camera like your D7000) is sort of a jack of all trades master of none type of lens.  The field of view does have a long association with street photography, so perhaps master of one.  It's very good covering subjects that look best when rendered most similarly to how our eyes see them (indoor outdoor events, groups of people, things and scense we encounter on a daily basis, etc).  It seems to me that most photographers find that they either really enjoy the limits and speed a prime lens offers or prefer the flexibilty of a zoom lens, and once they find it they tend to prefer it at other focal lengths as well.

I know that my 18-105mm covers the 35mm focal length, so perhaps I should experiment with it set at 35mm?  My thought was the 35mm would be a good lens for walking around because it is smaller, lighter than the other ones I have.  Plus the better light-gathering than the zoom.

I suggested a 35mm prime as a cheap way to find out (before you invest heavily in either zooms or primes) which one prefers or if one is agnostic about the two.

From what I have read, this lens is a bargain at less than $200, and many say it is an excellent addition to a kit.  But nothing is cheap if you don't make use of it!  Do you think that leaving the 18-105 at 35mm for a while would be a good test?

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow