What would be a good basic lens collection?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Re: What would be a good basic lens collection?
In reply to happysnapper64, Mar 28, 2013

happysnapper64 wrote:

I did, however consider 3rd party lenses before buying, & would suggest you do the same before shelling out a lot of cash for another lens.

The thing about staying with Nikon, I know it has good quality, and there are plenty of reviews to ferret out the flaws.  Reviews undoubtedly exist for third-party lenses, but I don't trust myself to decide based on them, or even on directly comparing them myself.

Someone suggested that one of the criteria would be image quality. This is a very personal thing I find. I went looking for a long lens for birding last year, & the shop I go to had a few for me to try. I decided to go with the versatility of a zoom, & narrowed it down to 2.

There isn't a shop anywhere near me.  This is another factor.  I am planning to take a ride down to New York City (about 4 hours) and go to B&H's superstore sometime soon.  Waiting for nice weather - it's coming! That is one reason I am trying to gather some information now.  I know that their salespeople are very helpful - talked to several on the telephone - but it is important to be able to decide for myself without being overly influenced by their opinions.  I can try out some lenses then, and either buy or wait and order from home.

You could try hiring for a couple days. Might avoid an expensive mistake. [& a divorce!! :-(]

Hiring sounds good, but then I would be under pressure to be taking pictures to make it worth the money spent.  The light is not so good most of the time right now - end of winter, gray skies, even had a snow flurry this morning!  Everything is brown, not so inviting!

As for divorce, my husband is a keeper, and he feels the same about me despite my multitude of flaws!   Plus, I intend to add to my lenses gradually and smartly, so he will hardly notice...  Devious, perhaps, but whatever works. 

Thanks Lee for your suggestions.  I always enjoy reading your postings on the forums.

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow