FZ200: Silkypix RAW and Standard JPG comparison

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
dpfan32
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Re: FZ200: Silkypix RAW and Standard JPG comparison
In reply to John Beavin, Mar 28, 2013

SilkyPix 5 is for me a must for long zoom images.

There I can remove the JPEG artifacts out of the animal details.

But for landscape fotos the SilkyPix 5 results are too smooth for my taste. Branches are smeared away where in the JPEG version the branches are visible, yes with more artifacts but visible.

OK SIlkyPix makes reveals more shadow and highlight details, but I could live without that.

If someone tells me how to sharpen the RAWs to look sharp like the JPEGs I would try that too.

##################

And second what I discovered to make more artifacts is the iResolution.

I disabled iResolution and shoot simply in P mode with AWB only one click (not 2 or 3 it's too warm, I dont want a Canon look again)  to A (left) and highest JPEG quality.

All the other N and S Settings I left on 0!

No more experiments for me. Turning down sharpness makes photos too soft, even with iResolution on, which only causes ugly artifacts.

Turning down Noise reduction makes on the sky some kind of ugly posterization effect.

When I need iZoom where iResolution is enabled as well, I go to mode dial C1 where I have enabled this feature but also RAW, so I don't have to deal with iResolution when I use RAW for long zoom anyway.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow