Who would buy a 'Sigma' 12/2.8 Prime @ $399

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,539
Like?
Re: I would not
In reply to MatsP, Mar 28, 2013

MatsP wrote:

I have the Sigma 19/2,8 and I'm not too impressed of that lens. It's nice sometimes to have 2,8 but it is not much sharper, if at all, than the 12-50 at 19 mm or the 9-18 at 18 mm, and as I have those two lenses I don't use the Sigma very much.

A Sigma 12/2,8 would be slower and bulkier than existing alternative primes, and maybe not much cheaper. And the 12-50 is not too bad at 12 mm and only 1/2 stop slower. Only if Sigma will make a remarkably better lens it would be interesting to me.

I have nothing against Sigma as a brand, they make excellent lenses for APS-C and FF and I have owned a couple of them, but I don't like their policy to only make half-decent cheap lenses for m4/3

Some people prefer a prime. It's not all about sharpness. Also, the 12-50 is a pretty large lens, even compared to the largish Sig 19, right?

The only "alternate prime" that isn't expensive is the Pan 14 and a Sigma wouldn't have to be all that great to be better than the 14.

The Sig 30 is really much better than "half-decent!" They could make a "good" 12.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow