Where's the "G" or Zeiss standard zoom?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,523Gear list
Like?
Re: Where's the "G" or Zeiss standard zoom?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 28, 2013

Let us look at this from a different perspective. Suppose we ignor all the user error factors that contribute to unsatisfactory photos. If we want to use the kit 18-55 for sharp landscape photos will that do? Well it depends in part on the subject matter. If one is shooting foliage then you need sharp glass. This is not something one argues about. I have seen this. I went out for a week and took photos with my new acquisitions. An Olympus OMD and a NEX7. Well, when I looked at photos on my 30 inch Dell the sharpness wasn't there. On the NEX kit lens there was softness on the left side. This phenomenon occurred in 2 other kit lenses at the Sony Store in Sydney. I eventually found one I took home. Yes, it is fine for out and about shooting, flowers, snapshots, people photos, flash. All good. However, if you want Canon 5DII quality you won't get it with the kit lens on landscapes. The 16-80 delivers but you need a big EA2 adapter that is awkward to hold and is noisy to operate. If I wanted a small kit lens I would buy the smaller 16-50 and rely on that for a walk around lens. If I want sharp photos of foliage then the 16-80 is a good option. Very pleased with this lens. The kit 18-55 stays in a filing cabinet unused now.

Vince

-- hide signature --

Everyone is an expert on dpreview!

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow